Finally! It’s about time this blog offered a warm comfort soup recipe. This hearty avocado soup will keep you warm and cozy in the coolest of times. Enjoy!!!
- 1-2 T Chosen Food Avocado oil (or fat of choice)
- 1 c chopped green onions + more for garnish
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped (omit if you don’t want it very spicy)
- 6 c chicken broth (homemade is best, but boxed will work)
- 1 t Redmond Real Salt
- 2 t cumin
- 1-2 avocados, diced + more for garnish (depends on how big they are)
- 1½-2 c cooked, shredded chicken
- 1-3 t chipotle chili flakes + more for garnish
- juice of 2-3 limes + extra wedges for garnish
- 2 roasted poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- handful of chopped fresh cilantro + more for garnish
- s&p to taste
- optional garnish items: sliced radishes, diced tomatoes, crispy tortilla strips, (here’s our recipe for flour tortillas, make em’, slice them up and give them a quick fry) diced avocado, swirl of coconut milk, chopped cilantro, chopped cilantro, plantain chips, more chipotle chile flakes…cotija cheese if you can tolerate a bit of dairy & don’t forget an extra squeeze of lime juice!
- Combine coconut oil, green onions, garlic and jalapeno in a large stock pot (at least 5 qt) and saute until all items are soft and fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, salt and cumin and let simmer for about 20 minutes, you have to let those flavors mingle!
- Toss in avocado and using an immersion blender, blend until all avocado is pureed and smooth. Alternately, if you don’t have an immersion blender (get one…it’s a must kitchen gadget!) you can puree in a blender in small amounts. But PLEASE…remember that hot liquids in a blender have to be done carefully, VERY carefully in small batches. Otherwise you’ll have a burning, hot mess of a volcano out the top of your blender and all over your hands and kitchen! Please get an immersion blender!
- After avocado is completely smooth, add shredded chicken, chipotle chili flakes, lime juice, poblano peppers and chopped cilantro. Taste and add additional salt, pepper and/or lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with suggested toppings above, or simply eat as is…either way your mouth is gonna love this!